SC - Subtlety Question

Wed Sep 23 13:19:40 PDT 1998

> 1)	There has already been *such* a hoo-hah in our group about pirates
> and not-being-period and glorification-of-violence and so on and so on,
> that I am extremely hesitant to cross any more lines;

Piracy has existed in all waters and all ages.  As soon as someone figured
out how to make a raft, someone else figured out how to take it.  Pompey led
a fleet against pirates in the Mediterranean.  Julius Caesar was captured
and ransomed by pirates.  He then went and raised a fleet and repaid the
favor by capturing and crucifying them.

Within the SCA period, we certainly have Vikings, the Irish Scotia, Arab
corsairs, and English sea-dogs.  The Buccaneers and the Red Sea men are
mostly 16th and 17th Century.

As for the glorification of violence, maybe we should ban tourneys.  In
general, most of the pirates within the SCA period were practicing freelance
warfare on behalf of their lords and masters.  They are no more or less
violent than the knightly lords who plied a similar land-based trade.

As an aside, I have autocrated two pirate events, one Elizabethan Caribbean
and one Medieval Mediterranean.  I've even tried to hustle a friend of mine
(Mongol persona) into running a Chinese pirates event.   They are a lot of
fun if you leave your hat at the door and forget about having court.

> 2)	I have just taken on the responsibility for our Kingdom's Cookerie
> Guild, and I have something of a duty to be *really* period;

With a treasure chest, I'd recommend an Elizabethan sea-dog event.  An
Elizabethan feast with a dish of potatoes as a curiosity dish to celebrate
Drake's sack of Cartagena in February of 1586 (there is a strong theory that
the first potatoes to reach England and be served at the Royal Court came
from this engagement.  Even dirty doin's between the Dogs and the Dons.

> 3)	Damnfool pride.  :-)
>
> Thanks for the advice, though; I do appreciate it...
>
> Hugs,
>
> 	- k

So do it!  History really is on your side.

Bear