SC - rosaries info

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sat Sep 26 15:56:39 PDT 1998

Caterina de' Verdeschi said:

>All the dates that
>I found indicated that the rosary (which is the "long version" we are
>discussing, I think) did not come into common usage until late in period.  I
>can look up my notes if anyone is interested in the actual date that is
>accepted by the Church.

I think the rosary prayer that you mention may indeed be late in period. There
is a referance in my file that the rosary beads were not officially accepted
until 1527. And the word "rosary" is also apparently late. However, the beads
are older and apparently have their roots in the 11th and 12th centuries although
they changed in form over the years.

I have attached a message written by Nicolaa who has done a bit of research on
rosaries. You can find this message and others about rosaries as well as
several recipes for making rosary beads out of roses in this file in the
RELIGION section of my Florilegium:

rosaries-msg      (54K)  8/ 6/97    Period rosaries and their use. Making rose
                                       beads.

My files are at: http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/rialto/rialto.html

Stefan li Rous
Ansteorra