SC - potatoes

Tue Sep 29 12:30:04 PDT 1998

> At 18:28 28-9-98 -0500, Bear wrote:
> >...there is one very late 16th
> >Century recipe from Germany.
>
> Anybody have a copy of that recipe handy?
>

> Alasdair mac Iain

I don't think there is, as no one has posted the recipe.  However, we do
have some information about it available to repost.

Bear

Date: Mon, 27 Oct 1997 15:02:12 -0500 (EST)
From: Mark Schuldenfrei <schuldy at abel.MATH.HARVARD.EDU>
Subject: Re: SC - Deletable PC stuff, only partly to do with food.

potatos aren't period.
margali

I know this was said in gest.... but someone on the Meridiean list made me
aware of an exception..... Let me find it.

Mistress Falada had written"
Just an FYI - Dame Fiona has a period (yes, period) recipe for potatoes. And
before anyone jumps me: I know that the white potatoes we have today are not
the black, oily period variety. However, I have yet to see the period type
any place that I could purchase them. Therefore, substitutions should be
acceptable.

Anyway, Dame Fiona's documentation was good enough to be accepted at her
Grand Chef qualification feast. If anyone is interested, I am sure she would
be glad to share the information.

And later, Dame Fiona herself said:
Second, as far as the potatoes are concerned, the recipe was published in a
German cookbook in 1598. To describe the dish I would simply have to say
"hashbrowns". Is this the same recipe you are referring to Tibor? Variations
of the recipe are available in many modern cookbooks, but I got it from an
English translation of the original recipe. It is called "Rosti".

Tibor