Subject: Re: SC - Culinary Heaven

Jessica Tiffin melisant at iafrica.com
Tue Sep 1 01:41:15 PDT 1998

Greetings, the list.

> I'm sure each of us on the list has a wealth of local materials available.  I
> think it would be interesting to hear what each of you thinks is special with
> regard to the culinary resources unique to your specific location.
Special culinary resources... an interesting thought.  Period cookery-wise,
in Cape Town we're more likely to bemoan the fact that we can't get hold of
various medieval staples - I still haven't managed to see  grains of
paradise or cubebs in the flesh, or the wood, or whatever...

However!  Africa has its compensations.   In Cape Town, seafood, of course,
and wine, and some of the Cape wineries do wonderful cheese...  Game is the
big one - not period species, but fairly readily available.  I'm still dying
to get hold of bushpig - seems to me that a wild pig must be something
fairly similar, flavour wise, to wild boar as eaten in period?  Then there's
Karoo lamb.  Further north,where I come from, Zimbabwean beef.  And ostrich
- - really nice lean meat, dark like beef or lamb, with quite a rich flavour.

It's not just the foodstuffs, of course, it's also the cuisine - Cape Malay
cooking is wonderful, and influences a lot of the traditional Cape cooking.
Bobotie (curried mince dishwith raisins and an egg topping), and
waterblommetjie bredie (waterlily stew - you can buy waterlilies in the
supermarket), and melktart....

Now I'm hungry.  Sigh.

regards,
Melisant

Mesliant de Huguenin
Minister of Arts and Sciences, Shire of Adamastor, Drachenwald
Sable, three owls, wings elevated, argent, each maintaining a willow slip vert.
Jessica Tiffin * melisant at iafrica.com