SC - Opinion on Cookbook writers and writing

Linda Peterson mirhaxa at swcp.com
Tue Sep 1 10:09:42 PDT 1998

On Tue, 1 Sep 1998 LrdRas at aol.com wrote:
> 2) Look for signs of 'modern' ingredients in the recipes she provides. IF
> there is a lot of ingredients being used which are obviously 'modern' then the
> redactions are NOT good historically representative examples. (This is not to
> say that the recipes themselves are not good, however.)
>
> 3) When substitutions or major ingredient changes are seen, note if they are
> done because the author doesn't like something or thinks others won't like it.
> Following the original closely is one of the best criteria for authentic
> medieval food.

If this is the book I'm thinking of, her main interest seems to be recipes
that a British cook can easily locate ingredients for and produce. I'm not
knowledgable enough to speak for most of the recipes but I find some of
her shortcuts a little strange. As someone from the Southwest, I can tell
you that soaking a crunchy, packaged taco shell in milk is not really
going to approximate a corn tortilla very well. (From the "Aztec"?
section.
Mirhaxa
  mirhaxa at swcp.com