SC - OOP Weird Food Movie

Christine A Seelye-King mermayde at juno.com
Tue Sep 1 13:51:51 PDT 1998

	We just rented an odd movie, but for lovers of food, it is a
should-see.  It is a Japanese Comedy (yep, you heard right) called
"Tampopo" which translates to "Dandelion" but it is sometimes shown as
"The Noodle Shop".  It is a send-up of Samurai films, Spaghetti Westerns,
and a retrospective of strange food habits all rolled into one.  The main
story revolves around a woman who wants to be the best noodle cook in
Japan.  She is befriended by a truck driver, who knows some very
interesting vagabonds, and together they make her into a noodle chef
extraordinaire.  She is seen sneaking around other noodle shops, looking
at their garbage to find out what their soup ingredients are, and sidling
up to a noodle cook and cleverly cajoling the details of his noodles out
of him.
	Along the way, there are several vingettes, some of which involve
a couple and their love affair, much of which involves food.  You will
never look at live prawns or egg yolks again in the same way.
	This was the funniest Japanese movie I have ever seen.   We were
rolling with tears in our eyes in places.  It is subtitled in english,
and runs 110 minutes.  Made in 1987.
	Check it out!
	Christianna