SC - Cuskynoles

Gretchen M Beck grm+ at andrew.cmu.edu
Thu Sep 3 09:17:35 PDT 1998

Excerpts from internet.listserv.sca-cooks: 2-Sep-98 Re: SC - Cuskynoles
by Phil & Susan Troy at asan.c
> Only serious inquiries need apply. I note with interest that you do not
> request my documentation for pasta use in ravioli in period. Seems only fair.
> But then perhaps you can document the use of chocolate in bunny shapes for
> discussions on rabbit recipes?
>
> Why am I even mailing this? I can just ask under the rock...

See Constance Hiett's article in Speculum from the mid-1980s --
Anglo-Norman Culinary Collections.  They include two recipes--one titled
Ravioli and the other Kuskenole-- (of which I failed to copy the
originals, but here are the translations):

Ravioli -- Here is another kind of dish, which is called ravoili.  Take
fine flour and sugar and make pasta dough; take good cheese and butter
and cream them together, then take parsley, sage, and shallots, chop
thenm finely and put them in the filling (i.e. the cheese and butter);
put the boiled ravioli on a bed of grated cheese and cover them with
more grated cheese, and then reheat them (?)

Kuskenole - Here is a dish which is called kuskenole.  Make pastry with
eggs; then take figs, raisins, pears, and apples, and then dates and
almonds; beat together and add good mixed ground spice and whole spices.
 In Lent, make your pastry with almonds.  Roll your pastry out on a
table and cut into several pieces, one and a half hands long and three
fingers in width; then grease the pastry on one side; then put the
filling in, dividing it equally among the cakes; then fold together as
this diagram illustrates (presumably folding over the pastry and
pressing or crimping the edges together, as wtih ravioli), then biol in
clean water;l then brown on a griddle, etc.

toodles, margaret