SC -Simmering cream sauce, was Fried/fri

PhlipinA at aol.com PhlipinA at aol.com
Thu Sep 3 19:08:44 PDT 1998

In a message dated 9/3/98 2:43:05 PM Eastern Daylight Time, jstaplet at du.edu
writes:

<< Interesting...I would define your technique, Philip, as more what I under-
 stand to be making gravy.

 This interregional anthropology is fascinating!

 Jeanne >>

Actually, you're absolutely right. I'm not a professional cook, and I tend to
use the terms gravy and sauce fairly casually- a gravy is a sauce, as is a
salad dressing, but a sauce is quite often something different from either a
gravy or a salad dressing. When I make many "sauces" per se, I frequently use
a standard white sauce base, and work from there. It's similar to discussions
I have with various friends who are Chefs or professional cooks, where they
say that they deglaze the pan with whatever, but I add whatever to the pan and
stir. They're using the professional term, I'm not, but we're both doing the
same thing, and we both know what we're talking about. Please forgive the
errors of nomenclature of someone who considers herself a serious hobbyist,
not a professional Chef.

Phlip