SC - Lavender and pregnancy

DianaFiona at aol.com DianaFiona at aol.com
Thu Sep 3 22:46:10 PDT 1998

In a message dated 9/4/98 12:21:45 AM Eastern Daylight Time, LrdRas at aol.com
writes:

<<
 << Don't take Lavender in large quantities if you
  are pregnant without the approval of a certified herbal practitioner.

 <sigh> I sincerely hope that this does not relegate lavender to the same
 category as rue? Or was this another case of 3000 drug using alcoholic women
 were tested and 2 had miscarriages ( the 2 having only the consumption of
 massive amounts of lavender in common)?

	In this case, I think it's just the standard cautious practice of warning
against taking medicinal doses of any herb that has any reputation of bringing
on the menstrual cycle at all. The thought seems to be that if the herb in
question actually *does* have that kind of effect, it might cause a
miscarriage in a pregnant woman. Most of the herbals written with scientific
data in mind these days seem to work on this basis, just to be safe. In this
litigation-happy era, that's probably wise, sad to say. :-(

            Ldy Diana