SC - Lemon Beer- non-alcoholic?

Michael F. Gunter mfgunter at fnc.fujitsu.com
Fri Sep 4 08:14:49 PDT 1998

> How does one make non-alcoholic anything when yeast and sugar are put
> together? Alcohol is a digestive by-product of yeasts digesting sugar. I am
> curious about this as even the yeast and sugar mixture used in bread making
> produces a small amout of alcohol.Can anyone tell me about this? Especially ,
> I would like to know what the strain of yeast is that was used. Thanks in
> advance.
>
> Ras

The recipe for the Lemon Beer is to take two cups of sugar, two lemons, 1 gallon
of lukewarm water, and 1 cake of yeast. Mix the sugar and yeast into the water,
slice the lemons thin and add. Loosely cover the stuff and let sit out overnight.
The next day strain and serve over ice.

As was stated earlier, the beer really doesn't have time to make much alcohol. I've
never let it sit until there was more alcohol so I have no idea if it's any good.

I've tried both Fleishman's Baking Yeast and Champagne yeast and the Fleishman's
produced the better flavor. The flavor is basically a lemonade with a touch of
rosewater added. Very tasty and refreshing on hot days.

Speaking of which, last weekend I came across a bottle of Orange Barley Water.
Not really knowing what it was, I tasted it full strength. That's when I realized
it was a concentrate. Phew!! But diluted 1 to three parts water I love it. Sweet
and sour and tangy. At the same place where I found this was a wonderful marked
called "World Wide Foods". A wonderful place where I can get all sorts of medieval
herbs and spices, sour grape juice, a dozen different types of olives, Middle
Eastern dishes made on site, steamers, soaps, you name it. I love this place.

Yers,

Gunthar