SC - amydoun (a new question, I swear!)

Marilyn Traber margali at 99main.com
Fri Sep 4 17:18:30 PDT 1998

Great Question!!!
I have never thought about it, one can buy wheat starch, and superfine wheat flour under a number of labels, and I suppose one sould extract the starck in a proceedure similar to the one I described in the spring to extract the
gluten from wheat[make a dough of flour and water, place in a bowl of water and smoosh it around, the white in the water being the starch, the mass of dough remaining being the gluten] but reserve the water and evaporate out the
water...but didn't somebody find a reference to amydoun being spelt flour? I have spelt from the natural store I go to, and I suppose I can give it a whirl in my mortar and pestle...

I made the pullus leucozomus with cabbage another way for dinner, and decided to go with a cream of wheat/polenta dish, opting for a nice farmers cheese instead of the cheddar that the recipe I have called for and a nice baked
custard with honey and black pepper for dessert.

My redaction of the whole mess:

1 bird, washed and dried, I stitched up the neck fairly tightly and removed excess fat to be made into schmaltz later. I trussed the wings and legs in the modern manner to keep the bird in a nice compact bundle.
1 cup olive oil mixed with 1 cup water and about 1 tbsp of worchester sauce-I know it didnt call for it, but I felt it would flavor the meat nicely.

I propped the bird breast side up in a roasting pan by rommertopf, after soaking it per directions. I felt that the clay casserole would keep the steam in long enough to cook the chicken long enough, emulating the housewife
taking the bird to the local bakers to put in after the bread for the day was finished. I baked it at 350*f for 1 hour, checked and it was cooked through.

After removing it from the oven , draining the carcasse I had just about 2 cups of a very oily chicken broth, which I used to make the wheat polenta with farmers cheese and cinnamon, pignoli nuts and topped with oregano coarsley
chopped[fresh] and the chicken was not really crisp due to the steaming action but it was browned. I ground fresh pepper on it after disjointing it.

On the whole, It does not resemble fricassee in the least as no sauce is mentioned in the recipe in the slightest. I did find a sauce recipe in the appendices-pp249, rec#488, sauce for partridge, ius in perdices[crush in the
mortar pepper, celery, mint and rue, moisten with vinegar, add figdate wine, honey, vinegar, broth, oil; let it boil likewise and serve] of the infamous Vehling "evil codex" that I wouldn't mind trying...
margali
She Who Must Be Obeyed
because if you don't clean your plate, you dont get dessert!