SC - gingerbread, lebkuchen, nurnberger

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sat Sep 5 21:06:42 PDT 1998

David/Cariadoc wrote:
>Do you mean medieval gingerbread (the stuff with a texture like fudge,
>made from honey and breadcrumbs and spices)? That should work
>reasonably well as a structural material. If not, what is "period
>lebkuchen," and what period cookbook is it from?

_Sabina Welser's Cookbook_ has three lebkuchen recipes in it, including
the variations called "Nurnberger".  I haven't tried these particular
recipes but the lebkuchen and Nurnberger recipes from the German side
of my family are all pretty "tough" and could conceivably be used for
structural work.

Now, posing a "Cariadoc-type" question, is there any evidence that
lebkuchen was used to make structural subtleties?  There is, I believe,
for gingerbread.  But what about lebkuchen?

Alys Katharine

Uh, What IS this "lebkuchen"? Or this "Nurnberger"?

For those wanting information on period gingerbread, including several
recipes, take a look at this file in the FOOD-SWEETS section of my
Florilegium:

gingerbread-msg   (31K) 10/28/97    Medieval gingerbread. Recipes.

Thanks.
  Stefan li Rous
  stefan at texas.net