SC - lenkuchen

LHG, JRG liontamr at ptd.net
Sun Sep 13 06:27:58 PDT 1998

Nurnberger would likely be a variant developed in Nurnberg.

Bear

> Uh, What IS this "lebkuchen"? Or this "Nurnberger"?
>
> Thanks.
>   Stefan li Rous
>   stefan at texas.net

Nurnberg is a town in germany (site of the famous Kunegunda shrine and
annual pilgrimage/parade) that still retains its medieval fortifications
and many of it's medieval buildings within the town walls and castle. It is
famous for it's lebkuchen, which I have been fortunate enough to taste in
it's modern variant. Quite spicy, and is a raised cake with dried fruits
(modernly). With the variants of plain, sugar glazed, and chocolate glazed,
it's extremely sinful. I hav also tasted a flat variety, which i enjoyed
rather more. All of them keep for ever---or rather, a year at least, in the
cupboard.

My next-door neighbor is a resident and native  of  Nurnberg, going back
for the annual pilgimage to the Kunegunda festival, where they pick a
village girl to be the beauteous Kunegunda for a day. Her family lives in
one of those charming houses we would call tudor today.

FYI

Aoife