SC - OOP(?)Candy Bubbles

Phil & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Thu Sep 10 19:12:44 PDT 1998

Brenna wrote:

> >         I have a vague memory of seeing someone do this on a cooking show once. He
> > was using a tool--a pipe of some kind--to blow molten candy like one would
> > glass. I don't remember anything about glycerin involved, and, other than the
> > dangers involved in dealing with hot sugar syrups, it didn't appear all that
> > difficult. Could be fun to try! At a guess, a couple of feet of brass tubing
> > would probably work fairly well..........
> >

> I know, better to keep your mouth shut and appear a fool, right?  How do you blow into
> the tube without burning your lips (metals being great conductors of heat and all)?
> I'm just wondering as this sounds like something I would love to reproduce, BUT not if
> I'm going to get a candy burn in the process.
>
> Brenna

The approved material for the tube is either pyrex or wood, based on what I've
seen, and they are available at better restaurant supply houses. I suspect the
metal tube motif was introduced as something that would be easily available,
if not exactly ideal for the job. The pyrex or glass ones are really
odd-looking, with various bulges and constrictions... like you should be
playing music on them.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy