SC - Spinach Tarte

Fri Sep 11 04:36:13 PDT 1998

> 1 cup = 8 liquid oz.= 8 oz. by volume
> period.  End of story.
> However, if you are measuring by weight you should not say 1 cup, (which
> indicates volume), you should say 8 oz. (or 1/2 pound which is less
> confusing)
> I was not confused about volume oz. vs. weight oz. when I was growing up
> until
> someone tried to convince me that "a pint's a pound the world around."
>
> Mordonna

Unfortunately, when they say 1 cup flour in a recipe, this usually means a 1
cup measure of flour or approximately 4 oz.  It may be a misuse, but it is a
common one.

To confuse the issue, "a pint's a pound the world round" may be true if we
are talking fluid measure of water, but a US pound weighs 16 oz. while an
Imperial pound weighs 20 oz, as the gallon is based on different measures.

It really is confusing if you don't know the base for the system.

Bear