SC - Spinach Tarte

Mordonna22 at aol.com Mordonna22 at aol.com
Sat Sep 12 13:27:47 PDT 1998

In a message dated 9/12/98 10:18:18 AM US Mountain Standard Time,
margali at 99main.com writes:

>  volume measures the capacity of a specific geometrical shape/size, this is
> why
>  the disclaimer on every box and bag of dry food stating this filled by
> weight not
>  volume. Liquid is a quantitative amount, originally the volume of a cup
> normally
>  used to serve a beverage in. This size was divided into portions called
> ounces.
>  dry mass was weighed, also measured in ounces of weight, not ounces of
> volume.
>  margali

Hokay, let's go at this one more time.  Liquids can be measured by volume,
because they tend to fill any container without leaving air pockets.  One
liquid ounce of water is the same as one liquid ounce of cream by volume,
however they are not the same by weight.  Dry measure is by weight.  One dry
ounce of corn starch does not displace the same volume as one dry ounce of
corn meal, but they weigh the same.
BUT if one says 1 cup of anything, he uses a liquid measure, a measure of
volume.  Even if it would be more accurate of him to have said 8 ounces, he
said one cup.  So if I follow his recipe and it says 1 cup, I use a measuring
cup, not a scale. There is no equivalent measure of weight.

I wonder if Gallileo had this much trouble explaining about how both bocci
balls fell at the same rate?

I ain't even gonna try to explain how we have over two years until the
millennium.

Mordonna