SC - Re: Baconn'd Herring - long

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sun Sep 13 19:28:43 PDT 1998

Ras said:
>Those that roamed the streets of European cities were well fed with slop (sour
>milk and grain) and debris thrown into the streets. Only by a large stretch of
>the imagination can they be viewed as free range. Those raised on farms were
>herded like cattle and did not run helter skelter all over the neighborhood.

>Anyway, the point is that Medieval domestic pigs were raised for lard first
>and meat second.

Medieval pigs may or may not have had a substantial amount of fat. I've not
seen convincing proof yet. However, even if they did have substantial fat,
what evidence do you have that they were raised specifically or chiefly for
the lard?

>I'm thinking that catfish fillets and salmon patties fried in bacon grease are
>about two of the most scrumptious foods there are. :-) Fish eaten on meat days
>during the MA were not subject to the rules of fish eaten during Lent.

>From what I've been reading in "Food and Drink in Britain" by C. Anne Wilson,
it appears that for most of the medieval period in England at least, fish
were not often served on meat days. Since fish was required on cetain days
they tended to avoid it on those days they could have meat. Do we have many
recipes for fish cooked in lard for the medieval period?

Stefan li Rous
stefan at texas.net