SC - I challenge you to a duel!

LHG, JRG liontamr at ptd.net
Mon Sep 21 08:32:06 PDT 1998

Hallo folks!

One of the reasons I quit the list at the begining of the summer is the
enourmous amount of stuff posted that had NOTHING WHATSOEVER TO DO WITH
MEDIEVAL FOOD. That bugs me. It bugs me a lot. Here i am back on the list,
and the names have changed but the habits are the same-----I'd like to get
at least ONE medieval recipe or accuracy comment to each Digest I recieve.
In the past I have tried entreaty, meanness and ignoring the problem. I
even tried cute little poems. None of those worked, so now I challenge you
to a duel ;^ D !

Let's actually learn something!!!!!!!!! Less chat, more food talk!!!!! I
double-dog dare you!!!!!!! Are you with me?

Here's my shoot-out: Redact (off the top of your head unless you happen to
have some of this stuff on hand) one of the following recipes. Please post
the reply with the  name of the recipe as the title, to make it easy to
sort these out.  I have replaced esoteric letters with letters from my
typewriter (thorn with th, etc).

Recipe One (beginner):
>From Curye on Inglysch, Forme of Curye,  #195

Hastletes of Fruyt. Take fyges iquarterid, raysouns hool, dates and
almaundes hoole, and ryne hem on a spyt and roost hem; and endore hem as
pomme dorryes, & serve hem forth.

(hint:Read the recipe aloud to get the meaning.  Endore as pomme dorryes
means to gild in the manner of pomme dorryes or "golden apples", which are
pork meatballs made golden: sometimes with egg yolk (for gold) or egg yolk
and ground parsley(for green-gold) or egg yolk and saffron (for red-gold).
The technique: You paint on the yolk, barely let it set in the oven, and
then remove.

Recipe Two (intermediate):
(same source, #51)
Tartlettes. Take pork ysode and grynde it small with safroun; medle it with
ayren, and raisouns of coraunce, and powder fort and salt, and make a foile
of dowhz, and close the fars therinne. Cast the tartlettes in a panne with
faire water boillyng and salt; take of the clene flesh with oute ayren &
boile it in gode broth. Cast ther powdour douce and salt, and messe the
tartlettes in disshes & helde the sew theronne.

(hint: think ravioli. Ayren is egg. Fars is stuffing. Dowhz is dough.)

Recipe three (advanced):
(Same source, #197)
Chastletes: Take and make a foyle of gode past with a rollere of a foot
brode, & lynger by cumpas. Make iiii coffyns of the self past vppon the
rollere the gretnesse of the smale of thyn arme of vi ynche dep; make the
gretust in the myddell. Fasten the foile in the mouth vpwarde, & fasten the
other foure in euery syde. Kerue out keyntlich kyrnels above, in the
mannere of bataillyng, and drye hem harde in an ovene other in the sunne.
In the myddel coffyn do a fars of pork with gode poudour & ayren rawe with
salt, & colour it with safroun; and do in another creme of almaundes, and
helde it whyzt. In another, creme of cowe mylke with ayren; colour it red
with saunders. Therof another maner; fars of fyges, of raysouns, of apples,
of peeres, & hold it broun. Therof another manere; do fars as to frytours
blaunched, and colour it with grene; put this to the ovene & bake wel, &
serue it sorth with ew ardaunt.

(No hints, advanced crew. You should know this stuff by now! This should be
a whole feast for a small group!)

Hope this keeps us busy for a while!

Hugs---I'm forever the mommy:  keeping the kids busy and out of mischeif!

Aoife