SC - Cooking of meat-longish

Tue Sep 15 16:31:49 PDT 1998

> The problem with trichinosis was
> not, IIRC, the worm itself, but rather the worm eggs (Bear, check me on
> this) because roundworm eggs have been known to retain 60% viability after
> being boiled in formaldehyde, so safety precautions of the time preferred
> to err on the side of caution, regardless of palatability.
>

> Phlip
>
> Phlip at bright.net

This is more Bogdan's area of expertise rather than mine.  I've never run
across  Trichinella spiralis and my quick refs don't provide a lot of
detail.  As of 1996, the FDA recommendation was to cook pork products to an
internal temperature of 155 degrees F (68 degrees C).

On the subject of lamb, I prefer mine well-done and prefer to braise it to
keep the meat from drying out.

Bear