SC - Hastletes of Fruyt.

Cindy Renfrow renfrow at skylands.net
Tue Sep 15 19:09:15 PDT 1998

>My husband Drake has made a similar recipe to this from Take 1000 Eggs.
>In that recipe we threaded the fruits and nuts separately (i.e. piece by
>piece like a shish kabob) onto a linen thread, covered them in batter
>and deep fried.  Then removed the string.
>
>If you let the almonds sit in a water for a few minutes they will soften
>enough so you can get a strong needle to pierce them without anything
>splintering.
>
>As I said above it was a similar recipe, and unfortunately I don't have
>the notes at work so I don't know if batter was called for in the recipe
>we used or whether batter was used as it was easier than endoring?
>
>Hope this helps
>
>Meliora.

Hello!  Aoife said it was O.K. to give you this, so here is the more
detailed recipe from Harleian MS. 4016 ([th] substituted for 'thorn').  I
was going to give you another hint, but she said not to... ;-)

Harleian MS. 4016
136 [Trayne roste.]  Take Dates and figges, and kutte hem in a peny brede;
And [th]en take grete reysons and blanched almondes, and prik hem thorgh
with a nedel into a threde of a mannys length, and one of one frute and
a-no[th]er of a-no[th]er frute; and [th]en bynde the threde with the frute
A-bought a rownde spete, endelonge [th]e spete, in maner of an hasselet;
And then take a quarte of wyne or Ale, and fyne floure,  And make batur
thereof, and cast thereto pouder ginger, sugur, & saffron,  pouder of
Clowes, salt; And make [th]e batur not fully rennyng, and no[th]er
stonding, but in [th]e mene, that hit may cleue, and than rost the  treyne
abought the fire in [th]e spete; And [th]en cast the batur on the treyne as
he turneth abough[t] the fire, so longe til [th]e frute be hidde in the
batur; as [th]ou castest [th]e batur there-on, hold a vessell vndere-nethe,
for spilling of [th]e batur/ And whan hit is y-rosted well, hit wol seme a
hasselet; And then take hit vppe fro [th]e spit al hole, And kut hit in
faire peces of a Span length, And [serue]  of hit a pece or two in a dissh
al hote.

Cindy/Sincgiefu
renfrow at skylands.net