SC - Thoughts on Food

Kiriel & Chris kiriel at cybergal.com
Wed Sep 16 01:48:22 PDT 1998

Mordonna22 at aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 9/15/98 7:52:02 AM US Mountain Standard Time,
> dy018 at freenet.carleton.ca writes:
>

> >  Okay I have to ask, even at the risk of appearing stupid...what are blow
> > flies?
> >

> I am not Australian, and I don't know what they call blow-flies, but in the
> Southern United States, there are biting flies, about four times the size of
> ordinary house flies that usually are the most aggressive flies around

1)  I utterly deny Craig(Drake)'s suggestion that Australia has no haute
cuisine. (I realise he was being sarcastic but hope you all do to!)  But
it is true that Australian cuisine is hard to define as it is so
influenced by other countries.  Most good Australian cuisine seems to be
strongly influenced in particular by asian cooking and ingredients, and
there is a growing use of local herbs and spices; pepperberry for
example.  There is a strong emphasis on seafood as we have such
wonderful seafood down here (so I am told - allergic to it myself) and
you will see kangaroo and crocodile on quite a few menus - kangaroo
proscuitto is scrumptious.

2) I have never heard of bloomin onions apart from on the 'net

3) The usual blowfly at an Aussie barbeque is a tiny little fly that
sticks to you.  You will see people walking along with 50 little flies
sitting on their back - I don't know what it is about backs but there
you are. Typical barbequeue fare is beef steaks, sausages, lamb chops.
Seafood sometimes, ribs far more rarely (I have never yet been to a
barbequeue where ribs have been served).  Bread, tomato sauce, wine,
beer, coleslaw (our coleslaw - finely sliced cabbage, grated carrot and
mayonaise with maybe apple and walnut in it), garden salad, maybe a
pasta salad and a rice salad.

That is a pretty traditional BBQ.

Kiriel