SC - Diet - was (More boring pig facts-OT-OOP)

Brenna sunnie at exis.net
Wed Sep 16 04:32:26 PDT 1998

> Huzzah! I too am a diabetic and have attended college nutrition courses
> during my culinary training. I was tempted to say something but felt leary
> of stepping on any toes. Everything Mordonna said jives with what i have
> learned. Playing with Ketones is dangerous. Yes, you lose weight, but that
> is because your body is eating itself away in a not good for you fashion.
> Enough said, I and my soapbox will now crawl back under the rock :-)
> Thorbjorn the Cook

Ahhh...more misinformation spurned by the American public.  It's sad.  Maybe I
did not make myself clear.  Seven members of my family have been put on this
regimen for problems from non-insulin dependant diabetes to obesity to heart and
cholesterol problems (my aunt was even sent this way for a metabolic problem).
DOCTORS mind you are advocating this way of life.  I am not talking about a
protein-only diet which is highly dangerous.  I am talking about a controlled
form of ketosis (and there are two forms of ketosis) which is checked daily
(much like checking your blood sugar- which my mother does both everyday-several
times for the sugar) and is kept at a moderate or low level.  It is also
dependant upon consuming 8 to 16 cups of water or similar fluid every day.  This
is not hard because your body wants it anyway.  If the diet is done right and
the fluids are there, there is no danger of ruining yor kidneys, your liver, or
anything else in your system.  There are recommended suppliments, and the doctor
oversees the whole thing.  In case you're concerned for me, don't be.  I've been
on this regimen for over a year now and never been in better health.  I even
produced mighty fine breast milk while doing this (the doctor said it would be
fine because of how the milk is produced, and by the huge and healthy baby boy I
have, I must agree that it didn't hurt him the least either).  Sorry to disagree
again, but your medical community and mine seem to be at odds here.  I've seen
the benefits to so many ailments I and others have suffered.  The end to yeast
infections, the use of pills for my mother, constant headaches, reduction in
meds for a friend's son who is ADHD, weight loss, triglicerides (in my father,
dropped to a third of what they were), cholesterol dropping, more energy and
less emotional problems caused by the inabity to handle the sugar in your
system...can this really be that bad a thing?  I think not, and obviously the 5
doctors who I know are advocating this (I'm sure there are many more out there)
think not as well.

Brenna
(trying desperately to hide her soapbox in the closet)