SC - Poudre Forte and Poudre Douce

LYN M PARKINSON allilyn at juno.com
Wed Sep 16 23:01:07 PDT 1998

Micaylah,

Redon, Odile. Sabban, Francoise. & Serventi, Silvano.  The Medieval
Kitchen, Recipes from 	France and Italy.   Translated, Edward
Schneider, U of 	Chicago Press, 	Chicago & London, 1998.
ISBN 0 226 70684 2.

Fine Spice Mixture

Take an onza of pepper and one of cinnamon and one of ginger, and half a
quarter [onza] of cloves and a quarter of saffron.  Fr 40.   [from the
Venic region but not necessarily from Venice]

2 rounded tablespoons freshly ground black pepper [16 g]
2 rounded tablespoons ground cinnamon [16 g]
2 rounded tablespoons ground ginger [16 g]
1 1/2  tablespoons saffron threads, loosely measured, crushed to a powder
in a mortar or with your fingers [4 g]
3/4 teaspoon ground cloves [2 g]

{Try this, but 1 1/2 T. doesn't equal a quarter of 2 T. in my math}

Sweet Spice Mixture

The best sweet spices you can make are good for lamprey in pastry and for
other good freshwater fish cooked in a crust, and to make good brodetto
and good sauces.  Take a quarter of cloves and an onza of good ginger,
and take an onza of fine cinnamon, and take the same quantity of leaf;
and pound all these spices together as you like; if you want to make
more, use the ingredients in the same proportions; this is wonderfully
good. [Fr 40]             They aren't sure that 'leaf' means bay leaf,
but says use that until the Indian mint leaf related to patchouli is
investigated.

2 rounded tablespoons ground ginger [16 g]
2 rounded tablespoons ground cinnamon [16 g]
2 heaping tablespoons powdered bay leaves, or dried, ground to a powder
in a spice grinder to yield 2 heaping tablespoons [16 g]
1 1/2  teaspoons ground cloves

Strong Black Spice Mixture

Black strong spices to make sauces: take half a quarter of cloves and two
onze of pepper, and take the same amount of lon pepper and two nutmegs;
this will serve for all spices. [Fr 40]

1/4 Cup freshly ground black pepper [30 g]
1/4 cup ground lon pepper (or additional black pepper) [30 g]
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1 whole nutmeg, grated

8. Libro di Cucina del Secolo XIV
					Fr

Scully, Terence & D. Eleanor.  Early French Cookery.  U. of Michigan,
1995.

Scully equates fine powder with sweet powder, and says it contains
ginger, cinnamon, cloves, and grains of paradise.  Their redaction is
from the Menagier, and includes sugar.  The quantities are not the same,
from ms to ms.  Experiment with your own version, he says.

3 tsp		ground ginger
1 1/2 tbsp 	cinnamon
1 tsp		grains of paradise
1 tsp 		ground cloves
2 tbsp 		sugar

Platina discusses spices one by one; no combination.  It seems to me I
have seen nutmeg in a mixture, but that may be because I think of it as
sweet, and like it best.  I may have added it arbitrarily, in place of
pepper or grains.

Regards,

Allison

allilyn at juno.com