SC - Hastlets of Fruyt

LHG, JRG liontamr at ptd.net
Wed Sep 23 06:55:18 PDT 1998

Greetings!

As recipe number one was the first I laid my hand to, you have my
redactions below. I tried to stay as faithful to this original as possible
(including duplicating the probable historical cooking methods), thus I
have not gone the rout of stringing the fruits, as other recipes suggest.
This recipe is quite explicit that they are to be spitted. I tested 2
versions, and since both turned out well, I present both options for your
enjoyment:

Hastletes of Fruyt

Curye on Inglysch, Forme of Curye,  #195

Take fyges iquartered, raysouns hool, dates and almaundes hoole, and ryne
hem on a spyt and roost hem; and endore hem as pomme dorryes, & serue hem
forth.

Aoife's translation:

Take figs quartered, raisins whole, dates and almonds whole, and run him on
a spit and roast him; and gild him as "pommes Dorryes", and serve him
forth.

Aoife's redaction:

Hastletes of Fruyt--- Oven to 400 degrees or nice hot coals with spit
set-up  (also works over a gas flame, but be sure your skewers are long,
and you can hold them!)     Serves 20

2.25 oz almonds, blanched, peeld, cooled and dried very well
8 oz mission figs (dark figs)
8 oz pitted dates
1/3 cup extra-big baking raisins
20 short skewers OR 5 long thin skewers

(note: if fruit is extremely dry, re-hydrate briefly in water and pat
surfaces dry)

If using the oven, suspend some opened paper clips or hooks from the
highest upper rack and move the lower rack as far down as possible. Place a
baking tray on the lower rack to catch drips. Prheat oven to approx. 400
degrees F.

Prepare glaze:
Option 1 (plain yolk glaze) mix 10 egg yolks, very well with 5 tsp. sugar
(a clear golden glaze very like the sausage casing covering this recipe is
supposed to simulate).

Option 2 (batter glaze) mix 8 egg yolks, 1/2 cup sugar, 1/4 cup melted fat,
1 1/2 cups flour and water to make a thin batter (crepe
consistency--produces a batter coating which shows faint brown lumps
through the batter).

Set glaze aside.

On skewers thread the dates, figs, and raisins, tucking almonds between
pieces of date. They will stick on their own. Make sure the skewers are
good and lumpy-looking.

Suspend the skewers in the oven or on the spit set up over the fire. Turn
continually (for oven, occaisionally), so that the fruit warms but does not
burn. When the fruit is hot, Begin to paint on the glaze of choice. The
clear glaze will need 5-6 coats, setting for a moment between coats. The
batter glaze will need perhaps 2 coats, though one may do. Remove the
Hastletes before they brown.

Serve immediately, as they will cool on the way to the tables and should be
served warm.

* Note: Other folks have suggested the frying method and/or the stringing
method. None of these is faithful to THIS original.  Additonally, the fruit
should not be placed on a cookie tray, etc as this will cause hot-spots on
the bottom, resulting in caramelization. If cooked properly you will get a
nice crunchy  skin of  natural sugar that has risen to the surface with the
heat.  Do not confuse this with burning! At this point you apply the
batter, and remove from heat as soon as it is set.

Done by my hand this 14th day of September, 1998
Aoife