SC - Fish at Feasts

Anne-Marie Rousseau acrouss at gte.net
Thu Sep 17 07:59:12 PDT 1998

Hi from Anne-Marie

re: serving fish at feasts.

You know its funny. here in the pacific NW, we have arguably the best and
most diverse seafood available, and for dirt cheap if you're willing to go
to the boat (Tuna anyone? Its going for a song now). We in the Madrone
Culinary Guild very rarely if ever serve fish or the like, because
"everyone" hates it (well, ok, a handful of people, but they're very vocal,
very active in the guild and if there's fish they wont/cant come into the
kitchen).

The couple times we've served seafood its been inhaled with great relish.
When we had the Council of Crowns, we asked our foriegn dignitaries what
they wanted, and the answer was a resounding "seafood!" so we served salmon
and steamed mussels. None left. We've also served salmon locally as well as
May's Buttered Shrimps (shrimps in a butter, wine and citrus sauce), and
both were made to disappear quickly (I made it known that I was willing to
eat anyone elses shrimps, and so ended up with a very large plateful, which
was fine by me).

At a small non-SCA 15th century re-enactment event I served poached halibut
with Sauce Robert (mustard, butter, vinegar, etc) and again, there was non
left, in spite of there being about 1/5 of the people who refused to eat
it.

I'm starting to wonder what the percentage of anti-piscatory people are?
1/3? seems high. 1/5? that halibut dinner supports that. 1/10? hmmm.

what do people think? Fish could be served if you knew how many people
wouldnt want it, and so just provide that much less.

- --AM, who doesnt understand why anyone would not like fish. Fish sticks,
canned tuna and old stinky fish are very nasty indeed, so stick with the
fresh nice stuff!