SC - Spinach Tarte

Marilyn Traber margali at 99main.com
Thu Sep 17 11:55:17 PDT 1998

how about this, dry ounces are figured in avoirdupois which has units of pounds
and ounces, and liquid in ounces. The words ounce and inch come from the latin
word unciae, which was 12th of a pes or foot. The roman contribution[other than
the names of divisions] was in dividing things into 12ths. [don't ask me why
they were into a dodecimal system for this and nothing else...]
all i know is that 1 pint of water = 1 lb in non imperial or american non metric
measurements. in dry ounces, the avoirdupois weight of rice is 7 oz per cup, all
purpose wheat flour sifted weighs 4 oz per 1 cup measurement, sifted cake flour
is 3.5, oatmeal is 3 and water is 8.33.

if you don't like the weights per dry oz, argue with Shawn Seide at the US Dept
of Commerce, Technology administration. National Institute of Standards and
Technology.

margali
[yep, i believe in letting my tax dollars work for me by using the governmental
depaartments for their intended purposes.]