SC - A question of Custard

TANTRALYA at aol.com TANTRALYA at aol.com
Thu Sep 17 17:04:54 PDT 1998

In a message dated 9/17/98 7:51:30 PM Eastern Daylight Time, troy at asan.com
writes:

<< What you _can_ do is cook and refrigerate them a day or two in advance,
maybe
 three if you're lucky and don't have anything else in the fridge with them to
 contribute funky, non-custard flavor overtones. >>

I have found that a clean glass jar works fine.  I keep large (gallon) size
old pickle jars that have been cleaned out with bleach.  They work well.

<What I normally do is "blind" bake (bake empty except for something like a
pound of dry beans to help them hold their shape) the shells (if any) in
advance, allow them to cool completely, wrap them and store them. They
basically need no refrigeration, pastry has very little water in it when
baked. >

I disagree with not refrigerating.  Here in the summer it would go rancid in a
day or two.  I tend to bake and put them in gallon size baggies (still in
their tins) and fill on the day I am gonna use them.

Other than that, sounds great to me!

Diana