OTOOP...Re: SC - cups

Phil & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Fri Sep 18 06:00:19 PDT 1998

LrdRas at aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 9/17/98 6:11:58 PM Eastern Daylight Time, troy at asan.com
> writes:
>
> << Adamantius, preparing for a sleepless night unless there is a sensible
> answer
>  to this >>
>
> No need to, loose sleep, Master. My suggestion is that if a recipe calls for
> cups use cups. If it calls for weight measurements like ounces, etc. use a
> scale. It's that simple.

Of course, I agree, that's simple. What I'm concerned with is the fact that
something I grew up knowing (that a cup of water weighs half a pound) may not
be true. Next thing people will be telling me there's no such thing as Santa
Claus, or the earth is round, or some silly thing like that.

In other words, if it is an accepted "given" that a pint of water is a pound,
and further, that a pint is two cups (in the U.S.A. at any rate), then a cup
of water should weigh exactly 8 ounces, which is exactly what I've been told
all my life. If, on the other hand, a pint of water doesn't weigh a pound (and
a roughly six percent discrepancy at that), I'm curious as to how I got to be
the age I am (I'm twelve, of course) without knowing about this.

Wait! I've got it! Some government agencies maintain laboratories deep
underground to protect them from nuclear attack. Maybe the cup of water was
weighed in one so deep that its greater proximity to the earth's core caused
it to weigh more, just as it might weigh less, say, at the top of Mount Everest?

I told you I would lose sleep over this ;  )

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com