SC - Food Preservation

maddie teller-kook meadhbh at io.com
Fri Sep 18 08:31:35 PDT 1998

Melissa Martines wrote:

> Second, I have the recipe for the sausage, I have a smoker lined up, I
> have even ascertained that the Kroger butcher will give me intestines
> for casing (althought THAT caused a few lifted eyebrow :) ).  What I'm
> not sure about is how to actually squeeze the ground meat product into
> the intestines.  A pastry tube perhaps?  Any other suggestions?

You can purchase a 'sausage stuffer'. It looks like a funnel with a wide tip
(well, as wide as you want the sausage to be). You put the casing on the tip...
pushing it on until you have about an inch or so.. .tie a knot. You can then add
the ground sausage meat thru the funnel pushing with a dowel... as each ''link''
gets to the size you want... twist it to form the end of the link, then start
pushing more meat through.  OR, if you have a Kitchen-Aid with the food grinder
attachment, there is a sausage stuffer attachment that fits into the grinder
..... it is much faster!!!Good Luck!

Meadhbh