SC - Turkey - NW or OW?

Fri Sep 18 18:00:06 PDT 1998

This one is rife with confusion.  The guinea fowl was eaten in ancient Rome,
being imported from North Africa and was called Phrygian chicken and
Bohemian chicken among others.  The guinea fowl disappears from European
cuisine  with the fall of Rome until the late 15th Century when first the
Italians and then Portuguese start importing them from Africa  The
Portuguese sold them to the French.  The French referred to them as poules
de Guinee, poules de Turquie or poules d'Inde, as there appear to have been
conflicting stories about where the birds came from.

To make matters worse, the Spanish were introduced to the New World
domesticated turkey about 1517 and were importing them to Spain by about
1524.  When the Spanish started selling them about Europe, the French
started referring to them as poules de Turquie (remember that all strange
new things came from Turkey, as with gran turco (maize)).

So, if the recipe calls for turkey, it might be either guinea fowl or
turkey.  And you can thank the French for the confusion.

Because of their relations with Spain and their forays into the New World,
an Elizabethan recipe for turkey is very probably for our turkey.

Bear