OTOOP...Re: SC - cups

Phil & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Sat Sep 19 06:31:33 PDT 1998

david friedman wrote:

> Maybe the people who use "a pint's a pound the world around" don't care
> about errors as small as six percent. Maybe they're right.

Maybe they are. But I don't see any pharmaceutical companies practicing that
rule. Nor, for that matter, any large-scale baking recipes that work. The
point was only that one needs to be careful about what is immutable fact, what
is commonly accepted but is not a fact (like two cups of flour being a pound),
and what is claimed to be immutable fact, but isn't.

Considering "pint" and "pound" come from the same root word, I'm a little
surprised to discover they really have nothing at all in common with each
other. (I can hear everyone saying, "Of course they do! They're 94% the same,
where water is concerned!")

But yes, "A pint's  a pound and two-thirds of an ounce the world around,"
doesn't have the same ring to it.

Now, about Santa Claus...

Adamantius, who has no problem with admitted rough guesses and approximations,
but hates facts that aren't facts
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com