Syllabub (was Re: SC - Lebkuchen recipie)

Cindy Renfrow renfrow at skylands.net
Sat Sep 19 17:02:59 PDT 1998

>On Sat, 19 Sep 1998 15:10:15 EDT Mordonna22 at aol.com writes:
>>In a message dated 9/18/98 12:59:46 AM US Mountain Standard Time,
>>ddfr at best.com writes:
>>
>>> consider syllabub
>>
>>Okay, I'm ignorant.  What was syllabub before it was cream and sugar
>>with
>>flavorings?
>>
>>Mordonna
>According to my (nearest) source, The name Syllabub comes from the wine
>used to make it which was imported from Sillery, France, in Amer.
>colonial times, and from "bub" an Elizabethan word for a bubbly drink.
>Since the source is only concerned with American historic cooking,
>someone else might have an earlier reference.
><snip>

# 126  A SYLLABUB

My Lady Middlesex makes Syllabubs for little Glasses with spouts, thus.
Take 3 pints of sweet Cream, one of quick white wine (or Rhenish), and a
good wine glassful (better the 1/4 of a pint) of Sack:  mingle with them
about three quarters of a pound of fine Sugar in Powder.  Beat all these
together with a whisk, till all appeareth converted into froth.  Then pour
it into your little Syllabub-glasses, and let them stand all night.  The
next day the Curd will be thick and firm above, and the drink clear under
it.  I conceive it may do well, to put into each glass (when you pour the
liquor into it) a sprig of Rosemary a little bruised, or a little
Limon-peel, or some such thing to quicken the taste; or use Amber-sugar, or
spirit of Cinnamon, or of Lignum-cassiae; or Nutmegs, or Mace, or Cloves, a
very little.
(From The Closet of Sir Kenelme Digby... Opened, 1669.)

HTH,

Cindy/Sincgiefu