SC - Illusion food - recipie

Michelle miche at merlin.net.au
Sun Sep 20 01:08:54 PDT 1998

Meliora asked:

>I am currently researching for an Illusion Feast I am cooking next Feb
>(Valentine's Weekend in Polit for all those Lochac people).  If you
>could point me to the source for the "Strawberries" I would be
>exceedingly grateful .....

Okies,
well here's one 'illusion' recipie I've found - whether or not it's what
you were after I'm not sure....

Comes from Rebecca Prices Reciept book, written in 1681.

Eggs and Bacon made with suger

Take some gumdragon [tragacanth] and steepe it in rose water with some
muske, then take some lofe suger, beat and sift it extreordnery fine,
devide your suger into three parts: one for white; one for yellow, and the
other for red: then take one part of your suger and put it in by digrees
into a stone morter with some of the gum being redy strayned, beat it well
together till it be a past [paste]; a little of the gum will wett it enough
to make it a past; wjen you have made it a very fine past take it out and
role it up for your use. Then take some of the strayned gum and couller it
with the saffern (saffron) being dryed and poudered, put in enough to
couller the suger as deepe as you would have it wch when so don put it into
your morter and put to it by digrees another part of your suger beating it
to a fine past, then take that out and role it up as the other for your
use. Then take some more of the strayned gum and put into it some red
sanders [a red dye obtained from an East Indian tree - pterocarpus
Santalinus] enough to make it as red as you would have it, then put into
your morter and by digrees put in the other part of your suger beating it
to a past as the others then role up for your use. Make the eggs as
followeth, take a peece of the white past as big as an egg and role it in
your hands with a little sifted suger (to keepe it from sticking) into a
rounde Ball, then take a little of the yellow past and role that into a
lesser round Ball, when so don make a hole in your white ball and put your
yellow Ball into it, and so close your yellow ball within ye white that non
off it be seen, and role it in your hands till it be rounde; then cutt it
into foure quarters and laye them adryeing in the sun, or before the fire
till they are drye, then keepe them in Boxes for your use. To make the
rashers of Bacon take a peece of the white past and role it out thike, then
take a peece of the red past and role it pretty thine and then lay it one
the white past, then role out another peece of the white past as before and
lay that upon the red and then another peece of red one that, and so
continue laying one roe upon the other untill you have layed on five roes
that is to say three of white and two of red, the white past must be at
bottom and top, you must not let the red past be roled out neare so thike
as the white past; when you have made it of five roes thikeness then cutt
it downe the sides in thine peeces like rashers of bacon off what length
you would have them: lay them before the fire or in the sun to be dryed:
both these rashers of Bacon, and the eggs, will keepe good seven years.

*pant* *pant*
- - Michelle