SC - A Question about thriddendele.

Philippa Alderton phlip at bright.net
Mon Sep 21 12:31:01 PDT 1998

Cariadoc writes:

>Now comes the problem. What happens if we start with a quantity of X, and
add to it a thriddendele of Y? Your interpretation is that we add a
quantity such that the amount of Y is a third of the combined amount of X
and Y. My interpretation is that we are adding an amount of Y equal to a
third of the quantity of X. Similarly, on my interpretation, if they said
"take a pound of sugar and add to that a halfendele of honey," that would
mean "since half a pound is half the quantity of sugar, add half a pound of
honey." I don't see how your quotes solve the problem.

Suppose I wrote "take a pound of X and half the quantity of Y." In modern
English, that is half a pound of Y. Now suppose I wrote "take a pound of X,
boil half the quantity and fry the other half." The latter corresponds to
your example, the former to my interpretation--and both are correct in
modern English.<

Cariadoc, love, I thought we were talking Cooking, not Physics, and anyway,
didn't you give up Physics?

Phlip

Phlip at bright.net

Never a horse that cain't be rode,