SC - Sauerkraut

Valoise Armstrong vjarmstrong at aristotle.net
Wed Sep 23 18:42:37 PDT 1998

Ras wrote:

>Cool! Could you write down and send the SPECIFIC reference (pub., pg. etc.).
>I've just added sauerkraut to the Oct. menu. :-) Period-like, of course, but
>it WILL be there.

Roeck,  Bernd.  Baecker, Brot und Getreide in Augsburg. Sigmaringen: Jan
Thorbecke Verlag, 1987.

It's probably out of print, but I got it fairly easily through interlibrary
loan. I didn't save the ISBN, just photocopied what I needed. It's not as
interesting as it sounds at first - the subtitle translates to something
like - The history of the baking trade and the politics of supply in the
Imperial city at the time of the Thirty Year's War_. But mixed in with the
out of period and political stuff are some nice tidbits, like the food
budget for an orphange in 1572 and speculation from period sources on what
the working class ate and spent on food. There's also an appendix that
giving the Augsburg municipal baking laws from 1606.

It's cultural history, academic and in German, but there are some SCA
applicable parts.

Valoise