SC - Cookbooks

Mary Morman memorman at oldcolo.com
Thu Sep 24 09:04:41 PDT 1998

On Wed, 23 Sep 1998, Nikki McGeary wrote:

> Greetings, all!  I'm new to the list, though I've been cooking in the
> SCA for a long time.  My question is this:  what period cookbooks,
> SCAdian and otherwise, do you recommend to start a collection for
> preparing feasts and where may I obtain them?  Thank you so much for any
> info!
>
> Lady Heloise Noailles-les-Brive of the Barony of Bhakail (Philadelphia)

The ones that I would most recommend for someone starting out are Hieatt's
Pleyn Delite (either first or second edition, although second is a little
better) and the new Odile Redon book The Medieval Kitchen.  These books
include the original recipes, tell you quite a bit about Renaissance food
and cooking and dining, and have generally good redactions that you can
work from (note I said "work from" - I doubt I ever actually followed a
recipe exactly in my life, it was quite a trial for my home-ec teachers).

If you want to start working from originals, then The Two Fifteenth
Century Cookbooks and Forme of Curye are great starting places.  And for
the best bang for your buck, you cannot possibly do better than Cariadoc's
cookbook compendium.

But, again, if you are just starting out, I would suggest either the
Hieatt or the Redon - you probably need a little hand-holding until you
get your feet under you.

elaina
dragonsspine, outlands