SC - OVENS...OVENS...OVENS...OVENS...

Thu Sep 24 11:06:31 PDT 1998

> Bear said...
> I certainly will.  I have a trailer body on which I am planning to build a
> field oven, creating a more modern version of a field oven I have seen
> depicted in a 15th Century painting.
>
> It certainly sounds like you will have a good time. Could you by any
> chance
> direct me to that 15th c. painting?

Actually it is a painted woodcut with a GIF on the opening web page for the
Ulm Bread Museum, at:

http://www.opennet.de/brotmuseum-ulm/english.html

> And the you said...
> Check out Elizabeth David's English Bread and Yeast Cookery.  It has a

David's book is currently in print.  ISBN 0964360004.  IIRC, it is $25 list,
available from Amazon.com at $14.98.  I don't think this one has Karen Hess'
commentary.  I have an earlier edition, now out-of-print, which has the Hess
commentary.  This is not connected to Cariadoc's work.

> How can I get the Cariadoc catalogue of books to purchase?

I'd try Cariadoc's web page, at:

http://www.best.com/~ddfr/

> And so you encouraged....
> Public or private, I want to hear it.
>
> It would be amazingly appreciated by myself, if you could either post
> privately or publicly, the ovens that were prevalent in the middle ages.
> or
> even some direction as to reference material that I could have a look at.

Take a look at the commercial bakery oven in Pompeii, at:

http://www.eliki.com/ancient/civilizations/pompeii/commercial/

This is not the best photograph of it.  David's book has information about
ovens and some other views of the Pompeiian bakery.  And, Pompeii, A.D. 79,
a museum catalog of the Pompeii exhibit has some other information.  Maggie
Black's The Medieval Cookbook has some nice illustrations.

Everything I've seen suggests that Medieval commercial or manor house ovens
were stone or brick and followed either the Roman or beehive designs.
Baking in kettles or cloche (clay baking stone covered by a clay dome) ovens
would be for the small household.

> I fully expect that I will have a large audience for this endeavour. It
> will
> not only include the building of an oven, but the assemblage of a usable
> field kitchen right on site, to possibly be a permanent thingy (haven't
> explored this concept yet). I just figured that research on the oven was a
> good place to start.
>
> Thanks Bear
> Micaylah

So put 'em to work.  Be sure to check out Aoife's references.  They're
useful.

Bear