SC - nerves

Anne-Marie Rousseau acrouss at gte.net
Mon Sep 28 06:54:15 PDT 1998

Hi from Anne-Marie
we are told:
> Next weekend I will be preparing my first feast WITH documentation.  I am
> using recipes from Pleyn Delit-beef with garlic-pepper sauce, rice and
> chicken, and gingerbread.

In my experience, Pleyn Delit recipes are pretty good. Make sure you
pre-test them on a select captive audience to make sure there's no
suprises, though! Also to adjust seasoning, etc Its ok to have a failure
for eight friends, but for a large group of total strangers it is more of a
disaster!

There are some other dishes that are period-ish
> but not documentable.  I thought I would type outmy information and place
> copies on the feast tables.

I love doing this. As they get their food, hand them the documentation for
what they're eating. hee hee hee! "you ate period food, and you liked it,
neener neener neener!"

We will be in a pasture(oh, I hope it doesn't
> rain!) and I am using coleman stoves and a wood cooker.

Map out your kitchen schedule, ie how long will it take to get the fire
going? double that :). what burners will you need when? double the amount
of time you think it will take you to boil that water/simmer that stew/etc.
If you map it all out carefully ahead of time, you wont have as many
suprises.

You will definately want a cover for your cooking area. If it rains, you'll
need it. If its sunny, you'll need it. In general, you'll need it :). You
can rig one with a canvas tarp and poles and ropes prettyeasily. Our tarp
is about 10x20, and it contains a LARGE kitchen which we run over a wood
fire as well as our banquetting tables.

For the menu, make sure its balanced with meat and veggie dishes (I usually
do two veggies for every meat thing...happy lower GI tracts are a good
thing! :)), and bread is a good cheap starch that is super period and
requires no cooking on site :). Check your portions...figure 1/4-1/3 lb of
meat is a serving, especially if you got more than one meat thing. Let me
know if you need more help with this kind of thing, it can be rather
tricky.

all in all, it sounds ike you're definately on the right track! good job,
and thank you very much for doing period food!

- --Anne-Marie, cook and control freak :)