SC - potatoes

Mon Sep 28 16:28:56 PDT 1998

Sweet potatoes were used late period in Europe, white potatoes were not.

There is some evidence that the Spanish used white potatoes in Europe as low
end rations.  There is speculation that potatoes were served at the English
court after Drake's return from Cartagena, and there is one very late 16th
Century recipe from Germany.

For all practical purposes, white potato use in Europe begins in the late
18th Century.

For a fuller discussion of the potato in Europe, please check the food
section of Stefan's Florilegium:

http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/rialto/rialto.html

Some of our previous, more thorough discussions are located there.

Bear