SC - Fw: [Chirurgeon]: Topic for discussion: "Public Health"

Caitlin Cheannlaidir caitlin at phosphor-ink.com
Mon Sep 28 20:22:52 PDT 1998

Hi Phlip!  It's Caitlin (from the Pennsic woods battle)....

As a chirurgeon, it's hard for me to accept that there are any areas of
public health and safety that are "off limits" for discussion and advice....

as a cook my instinct is to ask the chirurgeons to stick to their own
knitting....

I guess I feel like one person, in whatever role they occupy, should be
able to advise another, politely, of known or observed hazards of any
type... but ought to be alert to the possibility that they are talking to
someone whose attention to these matters may have greatly exceeded theirs.

And just between you and me, I find it funny that this question is coming
from Macsen, who advertises himself as a "reformed chirurgeon," makes a big
deal out of the fact that he doesn't hold a warrant, and who just finished
vociferously arguing that we don't have any right to mention to someone
that they might not want to fight with a broken arm....

At 11:19 PM 9/28/98 -0400, you wrote:
>This just came across on Chirurgeon's List, and I will be happy to relay
>any comments that anyone would like to make. Just do us a favor, and send
>them to me privately, so we don't clog the List again with a subject we
>have all thoroughly discussed recently.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Phlip
>Caer Frig
>Barony of the Middle Marches
>Middle Kingdom
>
>Southeastern Ohio
>
>Phlip at bright.net
>
>Never a horse that cain't be rode,
>And never a rider that cain't be throwed.
>
>----------
>: From: Household Account (check signature) <wyvern at megahits.com>
>: To: Multiple recipients of list sca-chirurgeon
><sca-chirurgeon at wyvernhall.com>
>: Subject: [Chirurgeon]:  Topic for discussion:  "Public Health"
>: Date: Monday, September 28, 1998 11:31 AM
>:
>: Over the course of the "stitches" discussion, somebody mentioned
>: the part of the Chirurgeons' mandate about protecting the "public
>: health." (I can't find it to quote it... @#$&!!)  the context was that
>: we need to concern ourselves with the spread of bloodborne
>: pathogens.  I concur that this is a valid concern of the
>: chirurgeonate but it's been nagging at me...
>:
>: It occurs to me that our populace is probably more likely to be
>: exposed to various pathogens through feasts than fighting.  Has
>: anyone out there ever actively worked with their feastocrats to
>: insure sanitary food preparation conditions?  If so, what did you
>: do?  What else might the chirurgeonate do to further aid the
>: populace in this respect?
>:
>: Discuss... ;)
>:
>: Macsen
>: Just visiting http://www.wyvernhall.com/sca/ supports this list

- --Caitlin Cheannlaidir
  caitlin at phosphor-ink.com
  http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Gallery/7249

	Interested in making glass beads?
	To join the SCA-Glassworker's List, send "subscribe" as the text of a
	message to <compagnia-request at phosphor-ink.com>