SC - Bulgy tomato cans

Phil & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Wed Sep 2 13:17:00 PDT 1998

Angie Malone wrote:

> I really didn't complete my whole thought when I posted, I never use them
> either.  I throw them away.  I just feel hesitant sometimes to talk to the
> manufacturer because I sometimes can't remember how long I have had the
> cans.  We tend to go to sales and buy a case of something.
>
> I just happen to notice that it is happening a lot lately on canned
> tomatoes.  Not one particular brand, not only on imported or domestic cans,
> but a lot of cans.

I'm surprised. Tomatoes are normally considered too acidic to support
botulism. If that is the case, theoretically, then maybe this is something
other than botulism, or perhaps the work being done to produce low-acid
tomatoes  is impacting on the overall crop production. Maybe some of the
agriculture mavens might be interested in commenting on this.

Adamantius