SC - SC: Whole artichokes

Mike and Pat Luco mikel at pdq.net
Wed Sep 2 17:19:14 PDT 1998

As I said before you need young artichokes.

When they are young the whole thing will soften up nicely, except for the tips of the
outer leaves (which I  also said before).  These you simply shear off before cooking.
I've cooked whole baby artichokes that are cut into 1/8's and sautéed in a tomato,
lemon, and basil sauce and served with orichietti (sp?)  No problems were or have been
encountered.  BUT the artichokes  are YOUNG and SMALL no larger that 3 inches long with
only 3-4 outer leaves, definitely not those mammoth ones found in most stores.  The only
thing those LARGE one are good for is sucking the leaves and tearing out their heart.
Almost not worth their price for the little bit of flesh rendered.