SC - Re: Rubbed Beef

Brenna sunnie at exis.net
Sat Sep 5 15:45:59 PDT 1998

Diamond wrote:

> I would love to have it. Even if I don't use it I will keep it in my
> notebook.
> Thanks,
> Arabella

  Since several people have requested this recipie, I will post it
openly.  First of all, I was wrong...it is veal, not beef, but the
recipie can be tweaked for beef (or venison, etc.).  Second, I printed
it out from here about 6 months ago.  I don't know who posted it first,
and I'm not stepping on toes, but I'll repost it and whoever posted it
first can take credit later.

Brenna

The flesh of veal
Platina p.94 (book6)

>From the haunch of veal take the lean meat and slice it into long thin
slices; stroke them with the back of the knife so they do not break;
right away, sprinkle them with salt and ground fennel, then on the meat
spread marjoram and parsley with finely diced lard, and sprinkle with
aromatic herbs over the slices and immediately roll them up and put them
on a spit near the fire, taking care that they do not dry out too much.
When they are cooked, serve them immediately to your guests.

3/4 lb veal (leg or rump lean)        2tsp fresh majoram
aromatic herbs:
1 tsp salt            3TBS parsley            1/4 tsp thyme
1TBS lard
1 tsp fennel seed, ground                     2 TBS fresh basil

Chop parsley, majoram and basil corsely.  Sprinkle salt and fennel onto
the meat slices, dot with lard, sprinkle with herbs.  Roll the meat in
the direction that the fibers run, since otherwise it will tear, and
secure it with toothpicks or skewers.  Bake 40 minutes at 350 degrees.

That was what I printed out the first time.  Hope it helps.

Brenna