SC - Flavored honey

Phil & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Sun Sep 6 14:11:29 PDT 1998

Varju at aol.com wrote:

> My mother recently gave me an old clipping she had on making herb flavored
> honey.  This one specicifally mentioned how to make mint flavored honey.  The
> instructions are pretty simple, use one tablesppon fresh mint or one teaspoon
> of dried mint to 1 pint honey.  You heat the honey and the mint together
> slowly over a low heat, until the honey is warm, stirring continually for
> about 2 minutes.  You then let the hoey cool, put it into clean sterile jars
> and let it set for at least one week. You then re-heat the honey until it is
> warm and thin and strain the leaves out.  The recipe also mentions that this
> could be done with other "aromatic herbs."  What would be other aromatic herbs
> I could use?
>
> I know this is trying to retro-document, but I would also like to know if
> anyone has run across a period reference to this type of flavored honey.  I'm
> not trying to justify my use of it, rather I want to know if someone else asks
> me so I'm not passing on incorrect information.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Noemi

I'm not sure if I've seen anything period closely resembling what you are
describing, but tracks to follow, either backwards or forewards would be the
rose-petal conserve mentioned within the last couple of days, to see if
perhaps there is something like it made with honey. Another would be to see
what herbs might be considered to make good accompaniments to honey by
checking some of the herbed mead recipes in Digby, etc.

Adamantius

- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com