SC - Trying new stuff

Anne-Marie Rousseau acrouss at gte.net
Mon Sep 7 20:51:38 PDT 1998

hi all from Anne-Marie

we are asked:
> Thought I would let you know that tonight I made some goat cheese. The
> first time I ever tried anything like this. The recipe that I used was
very
> simple, 1/2 gallon goats milk ( I used caned ) and a 1/4 cup vinegar.
heat
> the milk to 180 degrees then add vinegar stir and remove from heat. I was
> supposed to come out with a ricotta type cheese but instead I've got
cream
> cheese. I'm not sure what I did wrong. It tastes fine but I am going to
> have to put it in a mold.

I have made a fair amount of cheese, both with goats milk and with cows
milk in my day, using both raw milk and pasteurized stuff.  I have never
attempted to use CANNED milk however, and am wondering if the canning
process (which DEFINATELY affects the taste of the stuff) did something
funky to the caseins (milk proteins that make cheese a solid).

When I make goats milk cheese I use the following recipe...
In a stainless steel or other non-aluminum pot slowly heat 1gallon of fresh
milk to 185 degrees, stirring. Stir in 1/4 cup vinegar. keep at 185o for a
few minutes, constantly stirring till a soft curd forms. Line a colendar
with a cheese cloth. POur in the curd, salt or season to taste (fresh herbs
are lovely), and mix well. Tie the corners of the cloth together and hang
to drip. The longer you hang it, the firmer the cheese. Overnight gives a
semi firm, like feta. A couple hours for standard "chevre" texture. It will
be fairly crumbly/chunky.

Note taht this is twice the milk for the 1/4 cup vinegar, plus the
difference in canned vs fresh milk.

hope this helps!
- --Anne-Marie