SC - Rice flour

Diana Skaggs upsxdls at okway.okstate.edu
Wed Sep 9 09:59:54 PDT 1998

     Ras said, "Personally , I prefer using flour when thickening meat gravies
     and use cornstarch for puddings and fruit dishes on most occasions..I have
     never been a fan of arrowroot because I find it makes for a poor thickener
     when compared to the others. It's main advantage is that you can add it to
     the pan in it's dry state without worrying about lumps in your sauce. ;-)
     Rice flour is workable and I always use it in period recipes that call for
     it.Each type of thickener has it's place. :-)"

     Leanna notes: I have prepared homecooked "frozen dinners."  If you want a
     gravy that doesn't separate during freezing, the rice starch is the way to
     go.