SC - SC Another newbie question

Phil & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Thu Sep 10 08:02:42 PDT 1998

draiocht at earthlink.net wrote:

> What books or steps should a newbie take to start getting the basics? I
> have been to a few renassance (?) fairs and seen how a little of the
> cooking is done but from what I hear on this list even the cooking
> preparation is differnt. Am I right? Maybe I am trying to make this harder
> than it really is. I hate being this stupid!!

Uhh, maybe you're allowing yourself getting a little intimdated by some of the
language and terminology?

The first thing to remember is that period people, just like us, ate. They
cooked what they ate. They used fire, just like us. (Bear with me, here,
okay???) In other words, period cooks and modern cooks have much more in
common than they do differences. And they have left us some of their recipes!
In many cases, once we crack the Language Code thing, it's just a case of one
cook speaking to another about a problem we both have experienced. Looking at
the period recipes really can be a wonderful learning tool, and often you get
a marvelous sense of kinship with our period counterparts. How can that be so scary?

Another good resource is a good secondary source cookbook...I know people have
recommended Pleyn Delit more than once; it's a good source, and there are
others, too.

Finally, hooking up with another cook with some more experience is another
good idea. If I remember correctly, you live in the Crown Province of
Ostgardr, in the East? We have quite a few experienced cooks who would be, I'm
sure, happy to offer you the use of their libraries and their knowledge. If
you attend a couple of Provincial Commons meetings you should be able to hook
up with people like Countess Aidan ni Leir, Countess Brekke Franksdottir,
Master Robin Argyle du Coeur Aile, Mistress Ygraine of Preston, Lady Andrea
MacIntyre, and quite a few others. I occasionally get to some of those
meetings myself, and would almost always rather talk about period cooking than
provincial business...

Until then, this list has made an excellent support group for many! Welcome!

Adamantius

- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com