SC - Grilled Salmon - my redaction

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Thu Sep 10 01:53:56 PDT 1998

Mordonna tried a period salmon recipe; we did the same recipe a while ago.

>Harleian MS. 4016
>154 Samon roste in Sauce.  Take a Salmond, and cut him rounde, chyne and all,
>and roste the peces on a gredire; And take wyne, and pouder of Canell and
>drawe it [th]orgh a streynour; And take smale myced oynons, and caste [th]ere-
>to, and lete hem boyle; And [th]en take vynegre, or vergeous, and pouder
>ginger, and cast there-to; And [th]en ley the samon in a dissh, and
>cast [th]e sirip [th]eron al hote, & serue it forth

Mordonna's version:
>Three salmon steaks
>2 TBS butter
>salt
>pepper
>
>Sauce
>1 cup red wine (Mogen David Concord {why not})
>1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
>1 cup minced onion
>2 TBS red wine vinegar
>1/2 tsp ginger
>
>Cook Salmon in a large sauce pan in the butter, adding salt and pepper to
>taste.  Cook five minutes on each side.
>
>While the Salmon is cooking, make the sauce.  Place wine, cinnamon, and onions
>in a small sauce pan and bring to a boil.  Boil for 1 min, add vinegar and
>ginger, stir well and return to a boil.
>
>Place Salmon in a serving dish, and pour sauce over it and serve.

Our version:
1 3/4 lb salmon
3/4 c white wine
3/4 t cinnamon
1 medium onion, 6 oz
1/4 c red wine vinegar
1/4 t ginger

Chop onion; put onion, wine, and cinnamon in small pot, cook on medium
about 20 minutes. Add ginger and vinegar. Simmer. Meanwhile, take salmon
steaks, cut into serving sized pieces, place on ungreased baking pan or
cookie sheet. Broil for 10 minutes until lightly browned. Turn salmon,
making certain pieces are separated, cook another 4 minutes or until done.
Serve immediately with sauce over it.

>(yummy, yummy, yummy)
>Mordonna

So was ours, in spite of the fact we did the sauce with noticably different
proportions and ours was cooked much longer.  This is one I want to include
when I (one of these years) do a proper Lenten feast.

Elizabeth/Betty Cook