SC - Candy Bubbles - rambling

Alma Johnson chickengoddess at mindspring.com
Thu Sep 10 19:06:36 PDT 1998

OK, the article, which appears in the wedding issue of MSL, cake section,
shows a hand pump(rather pipette like) and refers to the hand pumping of air
into the sugar mass in order to form the bubble.  No lips seem to be
involved, but that wasn't a foolish concern, Brenna.  It mentions glycerine
as an ingredient and says nothing about why, although the elasticity thing
is pretty much what I figured would be the reason for its addition.  The
article definitely mentions the use of a torch, although where in the
process is not mentioned.  Mistress Aethelwyn, our resident candy maker and
myself decided to approach Mistress Christiana in hopes of enlightenment
because she is a clasically trained chef.  She figured that the torch would
be used to maintain the sugar mass at a working (elastic) temperature, as
"blowing" would cool it down and harden it.  Many thanks to Alys Katherine
for mentioning her find - I've already got Borders online doing an out of
print search for it.  Any other info, leads, etc. are most welcome.  We will
also be trying to document the technique, but I'm afraid that the concept of
glass blowing meets confectionary probably won't hold.  I am a glazier, and
at least at my end of things, there's no crossover from windows to cooking,
at least not directly.

Thanks for all the input on this topic so far, and thanks to Mistress
Christiana for wasting no time getting this out to the list. Gosh, I don't
suppose I could use a jewelers torch on sugar, whaddaya think Cariadoc?

Rhiannon Cathaoir-mor
on way too much benadryl thanks to thousand year old eggs