SC - Since we're asking questions...

Marilyn Traber margali at 99main.com
Fri Sep 11 13:45:28 PDT 1998

IIRC stands for If I Recall Correctly...

I wish you well in your search for a local fellow cook, I have relatives in the
Kalamazoo area, but they are not SCA[pretty area, though]

It doesnt take a lot to experiment with period cookery, if you choose the
recipes carefully. There are a number of great recipes in Cariadoc's Miscellaney
on line, all ready to cook.

If you start small, with perhaps blanc mange, frumety, porriges, soups and some
desserts, the ingredients are easy to find and some are quite inexpensive. If
you remember the discussion we were having on the chicen fricassee recipe in
apicius, it redacts out to a whole roasting chicken, olive oil, water and
coarsly ground pepper. When I tried my version out, I used a rommertopf clay
casserole, but I could have used a cake pan and made a cover out of foil, or the
traditional turkey roasting pan with cover. IIRC[there it is again! lol] we
decided on one of the store brand and rather scrawney chickens that cost us in
the vicinity of 3.75-4.00 for the whole bird. Since the recipe didn't call for
the innards anywhere, we defaulted them to the freezer to join the ranks of
baggies of chucken innards for future use. The 1 cup of olive oil cost in the
region of 1.50[we used a really good grade that we had a small bottle of from a
christmas present. Normally we buy Bertolli extra virgin in the gallon for about
7.00] there was perhaps .10 of pepper, and I have no idea how much it cost us to
pump out the water from the well...
I admit to using about .50 of rice to have something to do with the resultant
cooking liquid after we finished cooking the bird...

All counted, it was something in the region of [including the salad/veggie bits
and dessert] 12$ for a period dinner for 4

margali
feel free to drom me an email if you like, to discuss more recipes and cooking
techniques...